Fried Cornmeal Mush is something we had very often growing up. It was cheap, simple and fed all six children and our parents. Mom would fry it slowly until it was slightly browned on both sides and we ate it with butter and syrup.
It has become a breakfast my husband and sons enjoy. It’s so easy to make and very low in calories and carbs. Give it a try and see what you think.
Fried Cornmeal Mush
2 Cups Cornmeal
2 cups cold water
Mix these together in a separate container
6 cups boiling water
2 tsp. Salt
1. Bring 6 cups of water to a boil.
2. Mix 2 cups cornmeal and cups cold water in a separate container.
3. When water comes to a boil, add the cornmeal & water mixture & stir well.
4. When mixture comes to a boil, turn it to ‘low’ heat. Cover the pan and cook on low for 10 minutes.
5. Butter 2 loaf pans and pour half of cooked mixture into each pan.
6. When cooled, cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator until completely cold & firm. (I like to let it sit in refrigerator overnight.)
7. When ready to fry it, spray ( I also add a small amount of olive oil) a heavy frying pan ( cast iron is best). Heat fry pan on a medium heat. You do not want it real hot!
8. Take mush out of bread pan and slice.
9. When skillet is heated, add the sliced mush, leaving a small space between each piece so you can turn them. Cook slowly on both side until a light brown crust forms.
19. Serve with butter and warm syrup or however you desire to eat it.