I remember my mom making coconut cream pie from scratch. It was delicious and had a meringue on top. But over the years I’ve cheated and made mine from coconut pudding mixes. But, now I can’t find that flavor of pudding mix. So, I’m just making it ‘MY’ way.
Around our house, pie is a favorite dessert. When our boys were growing up they always got to choose the menu for their birthday supper. And almost without exception, they chose pie over cake for dessert. So we put candles in their pie, sang ‘Happy Birthday’, and everyone was satisfied!
My husband really really likes pie. I wasn’t sure how this coconut pie would turn out with vanilla flavored pudding mix and added coconut. Last evening he said, ‘you should have made two of these’. I’d say he likes it, and that’s all that matters. Ever heard the old saying ‘if mama ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy’? It really should say, ‘if the man of the house is happy, so is everyone else!!’
Easy Coconut Cream Pie
I baked pie shell (or graham cracker crust)
2 small boxes Instant Vanilla Pudding mix (I used Sugarfree)
2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
1 8oz cool whip
1/3 cup toasted coconut
1. Bake or buy a pie crust
2. Place 1/3 cup coconut on a parchment paper lined pan. Bake at 350 until browned ( mine took 13 minutes)
3. With a whisk, mix milk & pudding mixes together until well combined.
4. Add coconut & mix well
5. Add 1/2 of the 8 oz cool whip & fold it into the pudding & coconut
6. Sprinkle baked crust with toasted coconut (optional)
7. Spoon pudding mixture into the prepared crust and smooth it out
8. Place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes
9. Add remaining cool whip on top of the pudding mixture
10. Sprinkle with toasted coconut (optional)
Check out this link for the Instant Pot that I have and use all the time.
As an Amazon Associate I may receive a small commission on qualifying purchases when you use my link, at no extra cost to you.