I still remember the delicious smell that drifted through the house when Mom made cookies! But the very favorite ones for me were her soft banana cookies with a touch of icing on the top❤️
It’s been many years since I’ve had them, but I got so hungry for them that I went on a hunt for the recipe! I had two very ripe bananas on hand, so the time was perfect.
Instead of a plain white vanilla icing, I made some cream cheese icing….it was perfect! And, I added some miniature chocolate chips which absolutely put them over the top. I shared some with a friend, who I later found out doesn’t like a typical‘banana bread’, but loved these cookies!!
Soft Banana Cookies
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 tsp. Vanilla flavoring
2 large ripe bananas, mashed (approximately 1 cup)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2-2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup miniature chocolate chips (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a baking sheet, or parchment lined
2. In mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
3. Add mashed bananas, egg and vanilla and mix until smooth
4. Add the flour, salt and soda and mix until well combined.
5. Add chocolate chips (optional) and mix in.
6. Using a cookie scoop or spoon, drop onto baking sheets, about 2 inches apart.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes, or until lightly browned around the edges.
8. Remove to wire rack to cool.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 & 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 Tbsp softened butter
3 ounces softened cream cheese
1 & 1/2 tsp vanilla flavoring
1. Mix all ingredients together, with an electric mixer, until smooth
2. When cookies are cool, spread frosting on top
3. Allow cookies to set until frosting can be touched
4. Cookies can be frozen…..if you have any left😎