Every Fall my husband goes out and buys a bushel or two of Golden Delicious apples. Then the 2 of us make applesauce. This year we canned 96 pints.
I am not an applesauce lover, but my husband is. His family eat applesauce with most big meals. So 96 pints should do him for awhile.
Store bought applesauce just is not the same. So my shelves in the basement are filled!
Home canned Applesauce
1 bushel apples (we like Golden Delicious)
2 bags of sugar (I used 2 five pound bags)
(Optional) Red food coloring
1. Cut apples into quarters and then in half
2. Do not peel apples
3. Cook apples in water until quite soft
4. Drain some of the liquid off & then put through a food mill
5. Fill jars to within 1 inch of top (or to the neck)
6. Place hot applesauce in a large bowl
7. Add desired amount of sugar (to taste)
8. Add cinnamon and food coloring
9. Stir well @ fill jars
10. Place lids and rings on jars
11. Process according to directions for your pressure canner, or in a water bath (cover with water, bring to a boil & process for 45 minutes)