As far back as I can remember, the one time a year we had these was Christmas. Mom always made them and I loved them.
So, Christmas will be here before we know it, and it’s time to make Date Nut Bars. This recipe is very old & difficult to read. But, I can read it enough to make a batch, and I rewrote it for future generations!!
Old Fashioned Date Nut Bars (my Mom’s recipe)
2 cups chopped pitted dates
1/3 cup brown sugar
1-1/4 cups water
1 tsp. Vanilla
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1-3/4 cups old Fashioned Oats
1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup packed Brown Sugar
1 tsp. Baking Soda
3/4 cup melted Butter
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly spray a 9×13 baking pan.
2. Combine the dates, brown sugar & water in a pan. Stir well & bring to a boil
3. Stir frequently until mixture is thickened.
4. Add the chopped nuts and vanilla. Stir & set aside
5. For the crust: in a mixing bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar & baking soda.
6. Add the melted butter and stir until crumbly.
7. Place 1/2 of the crust mixture in the bottom of the sprayed baking pan, pleasing it down.
8. Spread the date mixture onto the crust and spread to within 1/4 inch of the edge of the pan
9. Place the remaining crust mixture on top of the date mixture and pat it down lightly
10. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until lightly browned.
11. Cool completely before cutting into squares.