The cake for this tree is a homemade cake recipe of my mother’s called ‘Western Fudge Cake!’ And it is easy & good. But you can use a cake mix to make it quicker.
I started making this at Christmas when our boys were little. So I decided to make it this year, and it was good!
You can watch the video of me making this cake on ‘Delicious by Debbie’ on both Facebook and YouTube.
Christmas Tree Cake (Western Fudge Cake)
3/4 cup butter (room temperature)
2 cups sugar
1-1/2 tsp. Vanilla Flavoring
1/2 cup baking Cocoa
3 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
3/4 tsp. Salt
1-1/2 cups ice water
3 Tbsp softened butter
2 Tbsp vegetable shortening
4-1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
1/4-1/2 cup whole milk (I used half & half)
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
To tint coconut: place desired amount of coconut in a ziplock bag along with 2 drops f food coloring. Shake until food coloring is on all the coconut.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray or grease a 9×13 inch pan.
2. Mix butter, sugar, vanilla and eggs until smooth & creamy
3. Add the Cocoa and mix again until creamy
4. Mix flour, baking soda & salt together
5. Add flour mixture alternating with the ice water, into the cocoa mixture, until well mixed
6. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes.
7. Cool in pan for 15 minutes then out of the pan on a cooling rack until completely cool.
8. Cut the cake into tree shape as shown in the video and freeze (optional) before decorating.
9. Mix the icing ingredients and tint to a green color (you decide how green)
10. Leave solid tree shape as bottom layer
11. Cover with a thin layer of icing
12. Place 2 pieces together on top of bottom layer and secure with toothpicks
13. Put icing all over the cake top & sides (it need not be smooth and perfect, after all it’s a tree!!)
14. Decorate with green tinted coconut (optional) and any decorations you wish.
15. Use a couple small chocolate candy bars as the bottom of the trunk
16. If transporting cake, freeze until ready to go, or at least in time to serve it!