If you’ve never had this soup, you may tend to think you wouldn’t like it. But it is delicious and I challenge you to try it!
Put everything in one pot & let it cook. It’s really that simple. I made Cornmeal Muffins to serve with mine.
Split Pea & Ham Soup
1 package dried green split peas (20 oz)
10 cups water
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped carrots
3 Tbsp butter
1 pound diced ham or bacon.
1. Wash split peas in a strainer
2. In large pan, or stock pot place the 10 cups water
3. To the water, add the washed split peas, onion, carrot, butter & ham
4. Cover & Bring to a boil & boil for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Remove cover and add salt, pepper, minced garlic and herbs (optional)
6. Cover and simmer fr 20-25 minutes
7. Remove the lid and simmer for 20 minutes or until desired consistency. If too thick, add some chicken broth: if too thin, cook longer.
8. After cooking, remove from heat & let soup stand, uncovered, for 10 minutes
9. Serve hot with a garnish of croutons (the croutons I posted a recipe for are perfect with this soup)